Recent Posts

Saturday, May 5, 2018

John - Chapter 4

Grace Kelly

She was pretty. I knew that. And that was probably why a lot of boys in highschool liked her.
She was also rich. At least, that was what everyone else assumed. Because she had a driver. And her parents had a Mercedes Benz.
A lot of girls thought she was arrogant. Because she didn't interact well with people. She was hated by them. And there were a lot of rumors about her.
.
However, after knowing her more, I began to understand her more. But I didn't think I loved her. So, why did I ask her to go to the movies with me? I had tons of friends, so why her? Why did I contact her everyday? Why did I act so nice to her all of a sudden?
.
Ding! My phone rang. She replied my text.

I was just procrastinating all day. Having random thoughts. She said answering my previous question.
What were you thinking about all day? I text her back.
Just things. My parents. My brother. My friends. She replied.
Aren't you bored? I know I am. Want to go to the mal with me tomorrow? 

She didn't answer for an hour, then she said, Okay. But let's not watch movies again. Let's just chill and talk.
And an ocean of joy overwhelmed me. She said yes again!
.
The next day, we wandered here and there in the mal, but she looked unexcited. "Is something wrong? Are you tired?" I asked.
"Can we sit down a bit," she said as she sat down on a bench.

I looked at her mien. She noticed and gave me a plain smile.
"My mom is getting a divorce," she said. "I think it is for the best," she continued.
I looked away. I never really knew what to say in this kind of talk. My family was happy, so it was hard to completely understand her situation.
"I haven't told anyone. Not even my bestfriends," she said. My heart skipped a beat. "But truthfully... I couldn't handle it on my own. And that's probably why I'm telling you out of the blue."

I looked at her face once more, and tried to remember her face during our school years. She never looked troubled. She acted mostly normal, despite having lots of hater. And even now, despite what she said, she looked fine.
"Me and my brother.. we're going with our mom," she smirked. "We probably will move to a smaller house. And I probably should get used to taking public transports.. not having a maid.. helping out with chores.." she said, looking up to the ceiling. "It will be a big change"

I was just silent. I didn't really know how to respond.
"We will probably be fine tho..." she said while smiling. Now looking at my eyes. "Thankyou for listening." She got up and asked me to walk with her.

I felt stupid. I felt immature because I knew, at first, I was contacting her only out of curiosity. But the more I knew her, the more I realized that she was facing grown-ups problem when she was supposed to be enjoying life--just like me and any other young adults our age.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" I said. 
Blurted it out of the blue.
Even before I was able to process anything in my head.

She looked at me bewildered. And then she smiled, "If you are doing this out of pity, please know I don't need it." She said.
"I am not," I said. Surprising myself even more. Startled by the fact that my mouth actually worked faster than my brain. What am I doing?! I think to myself.

"I know that you are approaching Jane right now. She told me everything." She said.
I was shocked, but before I could answer, she continued, "Even if you're not... I don't think this is the right time for a relationship.." she paused. "You will be going to a different city for college. And I will be here. And.. I honestly think that you are not built for long distance relationship."
I just stood there as she walked away.

She never said she refused because she doesn't like me tho... so there's still hope, I think to myself as I head home.
.

I continued contacting her despite what happened. She never brought that 'situation' up and neither did I.
We just talked like we normally did.
She told me that she was moving out of her house in a few days, and we shared our simple daily life with each other as friends.
I never really figured out why I asked her to be my girlfriend. I wasn't sure about how I felt either.

Then on my last day before going to college, I asked her to meet again.

"Are you treating me to a goodbye lunch?" She said when she arrived at the restaurant. I nodded.
We talked about random trivial things as we eat.

"Have you move out yet?" I asked.
"Next week. The house is a lot smaller but I think we will be fine," she answered.
"I'll go for college tomorrow. And I'll probably come back whenever I miss my mom," I said.

I looked at her small figure.. her dimples.. and her fair skin..
I couldn't help but to notice how we had come much closer than when we were in highschool.

"Are you sure you don't want to be my girlfriend?" I asked her while trying to sound calm.
She choked a bit, and then she giggled, "John... the question is.. are you sure you want to be my boyfriend?" She said.

I probably looked puzzled, so she continued, "I am not normal, John.. My life is twisted and full of drama.. and I am used to it.. but how about you? Are you ready to get into my drama?" She looked sharp into my eyes, "I will probably call you one night to cry about my crazy dad... And you will soon realize how I am a 'difficult' girl.." She tried reading my expression, while I tried not to make one, "Then you will see your new friends in college.. and find a cool pretty girl that you like.. and compare her to me.. and of course I will lose! So you will want to be with her... And me? I will just end up being the girl who gets her heart broken again," she said.

I stayed silent for a whole minute. And then I said, "But we'll never know before we try," I looked straight back into her eyes. "What if I turn out to be a good boyfriend? Someone who won't hurt you? Someone who you can count on? Someone you can call at night and cry about your crazy dad?"

She smiled, "There is that posibility, right? But I'm sorry John.. I just can't take any risk right now... You will probably be happier with Jane anyway... She likes you a lot."

To be continued....

0 comments: