Recent Posts

Saturday, December 3, 2016

After Highschool Graduation...

Photo credit to hubby

A few weeks after highschool graduation, when I was still going through some hard exams for MedSchool, one of my high school classmate (who was also one of my ex's close friend), suddenly started to contact me--The "unusual" kind of keeping in touch, if you know what I mean.:p
Until... at some point, he asked me to go out to see a movie with him.
Um... Watching movie... Just the two of us......... Sounded kind of like a date for me. So I politely declined.
Why? Not because I wasn't interested in him, BUT because at that time I was also going through some hard changes in my life. My parents were going through a divorce. My grandpa passed away. I was juggling between keeping my mind straight, my somewhat new circumstances, and things I should let go.
Another reason was--and this was the main reason--because I heard he (let's just call him : John) was also currently flirting with another girl (and, let's just call her : Jane).
Jane contacted me so vigorously because she wanted to make sure that John really was a playboy-wannabe. And I was a bit heartbroken. Not because I actually liked him, but because during that period I kind of loss faith in men (thanks to my dad infidelity), and John just made it worse.(I mean, come one! flirting with two girls at the same time?! how is that okay???)
 
In high school, John and I were never close. We spent the whole hischool years attending the same class, but we were never best-friends. We never spent time alone. Never really talked that much. Never really saw each other eye to eye. So I found it kind of bizarre when he contacted me out of the blue. And also the fact that he was one of my ex's close friend, um, made me kind of thought that he must've hated me.. or at least heard some shitty things about my personality.

At some point in high school, I actually wrote in my journal that he was one of the most handsome boy in school, and he knew that because he read it, but that was it
 There were also times when he wrote some poem for his older-girl crush and showed me, and I admired his poetic ability, but that was that. Never more.
So, I never saw any romantic intention coming from him during our high school days. That was why I was kind of surprised, startled, and taken aback when he suddenly asked me out.

In high school, I considered John a bully. He liked to make fun of people. He was also rude and inconsiderate. That was one of the reason why we were never close.
He was also someone who loved to be on the spotlight. While me-- well, I was that girl who acted as a staging tree in high school play. :)) We didn't match at all-- at least according to me.

From what I remembered, after I refused his invitation for a movie, we grew apart naturally. And he never tried to contact me anymore, and neither do I.
I never really got to find out or ask what his real intention was. I never got to hear his side of the story. And I never knew why he contacted me out of the blue. Was he really flirting with me or was I just went over my head? Was he really flirting with Jane also, or was it a false accusation? Was he really a playboy- a jerk- a cheater, like how I thought he was? Or was he actually just a bored good friend of mine? If he intended to build a relationship with me, how did he think we would manage the long distance relationship? (he was going to college abroad anyway, so why bother?)  Why did he never showed any romantic intention in high school? Was I not 'cool' enough?

I know it's a bit strange that I wrote about some random encounter in the past when I already have a husband and build a family. But, these kind of life story are those mostly inspire me when I write fictional love stories. I usually imagine the possibilities : what would happen if I accepted his request and went to watch a movie with him? what if I decided to go out with him? would he broke my heart? would I have the strength to mend my heart when I had so much going on with my life? would he turned out to be a jerk, like how I thought he was? would he turned out to be charming and took good care of me? would we survive the long-distance relationship? what kind of boyfriend would he be? the caring one? the cool one? the romantic one? if we got married, what kind of dynamic would we have? --> These sort of things got me curious and inspire me to write fictions. So, thank you, John!

Anyway, I am still very curious about what really happened back then... So John, if you accidentally read this blog : Hello!.

0 comments: